Rocky Mountaineer FAQs
DID YOU KNOW?
- The Rocky Mountaineer is the only train that travels between Vancouver and Banff National Park, Vancouver and Lake Louise and between Whistler and Jasper National Park. Service is available in both directions from mid April until mid October each year. The Rocky Mountaineer also travels between Vancouver and Jasper National Park during this time.
- Except for the 2 day / 1 night train journey, tour start dates are not the same as train departure dates. Packages begin with an overnight stay the night before the train departs. So, for example, a package that starts on a Sunday includes a hotel stay on Sunday and a train departure on Monday.
- The Rocky Mountaineer is an all daylight train so it doesn’t travel at night, and you don’t sleep through the scenery. Instead, the train travels during the day then stops in the evening at Kamloops, a town in the British Columbia interior and the midpoint on the journey. (Between Whistler and Jasper, the train stops in Quesnel)
You get off the train in Kamloops (or Quesnel) and board waiting buses for the short ride from the train station to the hotel where you’ll spend the night. The following morning, buses return you to the train station where you reboard the Rocky Mountaineer to continue your journey.
- The Rocky Mountaineer is a seasonal train operating from the last two weeks in April until the first two weeks in October. During the rest of the year, there is no train service between Vancouver and Banff, between Vancouver and Lake Louise or between Whistler and Jasper.
- Rocky Mountaineer packages are built around train journeys combined with hotel stays, transfers, tours, activities and sightseeing.
Popular Canadian Rockies Train Packages
- Round Trip Packages We have 5 round trip Rocky Mountaineer packages that begin and end in Vancouver and 4 or more days on the Rocky Mountaineer.
- Rocky Mountaineer Rail and Drive Rocky Mountaineer Rail and Drive packages give you the chance to enjoy the Canadian Rockies at your own pace. These packages include your train trip, hotels, activities and a full size rental car with unlimited mileage.
- Rocky Mountaineer One Way Train Trips Rocky Mountaineer one way packages let you begin your trip in Vancouver and end in Calgary. That way you are closer to home if you live in the midwest or on the east coast and you won’t do any backtracking.
Traveling on the Rocky Mountaineer
Rocky Mountaineer packages offer two levels of service (Please note: RedLeaf is no longer offered on the Rocky Mountaineer. SilverLeaf became so popular that the RedLeaf cars have been rebuilt into SilverLeaf cars.
SilverLeaf: Single level dome car with expansive windows curving into the ceiling with hot breakfast and lunch served at your seat both days and complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages.
GoldLeaf: Two level dome car with reserved seating upstairs under the dome, chef prepared breakfast & lunch in the dining car, access to the GoldLeaf outdoor viewing vestibule and complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages
GoldLeaf Deluxe: Two level dome car with chef prepared breakfast & lunch in the dining car each day on the train, access to the GoldLeaf outdoor viewing platform, complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages and deluxe rooms at Deluxe Hotels in every location except Kamloops and/or Quesnel
Rocky Mountaineer packages offer three hotel options:
Popular hotels with SilverLeaf Service
Fairmont Hotels (or other deluxe hotels) with GoldLeaf Service
Deluxe Hotel rooms with GoldLeaf Deluxe Service
You can choose GoldLeaf Service on the train with popular hotels and SilverLeaf train service with GoldLeaf or GoldLeaf Deluxe hotels.
Let Us Help
We are available every day to take the work and mystery out of choosing and booking a Rocky Mountaineer train trip to Western Canada’s spectacular Rocky Mountains and beyond.
Whether you’re ready to book, just contemplating a trip, or somewhere in between, we are happy to answer your questions and provide all the information you need to make an informed decision. We look forward to talking with you. Give us a call at 1-800-913-9207 / 604-990-9299 or Email.